Thursday, September 10, 2009

black and white

Once upon a time there was a girl that lived with her parents in the middle of nowhere
the girl was a very social girl, but there were only so many people that lived on her little island. And so naturally, she craved a little more variety, and much bigger masses of society.
Sadly, the girls parents didn't understand her need to elope with different kinds of people. They believed that she would be much better off on their little island, with the few people that they trusted, because they couldn't offer new experiences that were too extreme for their little girl.
So the girl was stuck.
Her parents told her over and over again as she got older, that once she turned eighteen, she could do whatever she wanted, including getting those brow and lip piercings she'd craved since she was a tween, and the tattoo symbolizing her and her best friend's friendship.
So the girl waited
and waited
growing more and more gray as she stayed on the drab island
finally, the girl was seventeen, and there was just a week left before her eighteenth birthday
she was so excited, and exclaimed to her mother, "just one more week, and then i can finally get those piercings!"
to which her mother replied, "only if you want to be homeless."
this puzzled the daughter.
no, it ticked her off.
She inquired, "but i thought you said i could do whatever i want when i turn eighteen?"
"oh yeah, you can do whatever you want, sure, that doesn't mean that me and your dad are going to support you. As long as you're stuck under our roof, you're still going to do as we say."
and so, ticked off, the girl waited until the next Wednesday, her eighteenth birthday, then pierced both sides of her lip, aand her brow. herself.
She walked out of her room the next morning, her mother saw her face, and kicked her out.
So the daughter moved to the town up the river, moved in with one of her friends, got a job, finished school, and discovered the art of partying. Since her parents would offer absolutely no support, the daughter found no reason to keep in touch, and so eventually forgot all about them. The parents were left not knowing what was going on with their only daughter, and weren't invited to her high school graduation. the daughter applied for scholarships with her school counselor rather than with her parents, applied for college, and left without saying goodbye.
Yes, the girl partied in college. there was absolutely no end to the parties. but she studied too. and was smart enough to get only afternoon classes, and no stupid morning classes, because she was definitely not a morning person.
The daughter graduated from college, again not inviting her parents, got her own job, started her own family, and lived a life of her own.
while her parents were stuck on their stupid island.
of course they were.
who expects to remain a part of someones life if they cant help support the choices they make, just because they dont agree.
stop sticking your head in the sand.

2 comments:

Erin said...

hmmmm...I sense...I sense a bit of tension...this story seems to be based on someone I know well...I just cannot put my finger on it.

I heard the same about tattoos from my parents and had to hide mine from my dad till I was almost done with college. Even now, when I think about getting new ones, I think about where I can get it so my dad won't see it.

Did you really pierce yourself? Please tell me you didn't? Please tell me I can see them if you did.

lol

Hang in there Faith...find things to love about your situation. Get to know yourself more, take advantage of this and know that even though you feel "stuck" you really do have parents that understand. They just want what's best for you, and that may feel like they are holding you back.

When the heck are you going to call me when you're in town? I see you quite a bit cruising around. In fact, there was one time I was standing by the road in the rain and as I stood there soaking wet I saw a Ford F250 approach. I realized it was you and a smile crept across my face and I put my hand up and began enthusiastically waving. However, the truck didn't slow and as it passed, a wave of wet, cold, sandy mud splashed across my face. I could hear the giggling of teenage girls as it passed me....lol.

Seriously...call me. And no, that really didn't happen but it would have been kind of funny, eh?

Christina. said...

I moved 3100 miles away from my parents when I was 17. And then at 24, my mom stopped speaking to me for five months straight because I got my tongue pierced. At 33 I am closer to them then I ever was. Some things never change. Many things do.

Regardless, for the record, I think you are going to have a fabulous life once you get off the island.

movie