Friday, October 10, 2008

relocation

so it's official -- I'm transferring to anchorage next semester :)
no more isolation and not being able to walk to the store or missing out on social events
nothing but living with Hannah and [maybe] driving my own car from January on out
the anticipation is killing me.

I've got to admit though, I read a few blogs a few days back about the number of kids who have started transferring to Anchorage, and it makes me feel kind of guilty.
Apparently, because of the rising gas and grocery prices, and the lack of jobs, more people from the bush are moving to the city, and schools are finding themselves with less and less students. Our own school has found itself losing students within the past few years. after starting out with 35 students three years ago, at least two students trasferred that year, then at least four students transferred last year, and one of our seniors graduated, then this year another student transferred, and I'm going to transfer too. Throughout the whole duration of three years, we've only gotten one new kindergarten student, and so now the number of students in our school is 28, soon to be 27.

Again. That leaves me feeling kind of guilty... But not guilty enough to stay.

I was talking to someone about moving, and they said that they would probably find it hard to move, because they felt a certain loyalty to the students and staff, or a certain responsibility, because everyone relies on everyone else so much. My not being a teacher, or principal, or staff member or anything, i couldn't really relate to what they were saying, but i realized that was because i was the student, the one relying on authority, rather than the one being relied on. I'm not responsible for anyone in Oscarville, and because I'm a teenager [haha], the only future that I really need to focus on is mine. wow. I sound self-centered. idk. I'm used to moving around a lot. it's what i do. It keeps my world going round. the end.

1 comment:

Stupor said...

there definitely going to miss your mind, heart, and soul. Because you are smart and confident with that school. Wow. anyways. i gotts nothing more to say. take care
Martha

movie